Microsoft CLA Frequently Asked Questions
Signing a CLA is the first step in ordering Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, Windows Server IoT, and other Windows Embedded products. Read on for answers to the most frequently asked questions or sign up now.
What is a CLA?
- CLA stands for Customer License Agreement, which is an agreement between an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and Microsoft. It lets the OEM purchase and use Windows Embedded and IoT OS (operating system) products for embedded applications and connected devices. It also grants the OEM access to download the OS software in the Microsoft Software Order Center, and purchase the software licenses through an Authorized Distributor, such as Bsquare.
When do I need a CLA?
- As an OEM, you need to sign the CLA before downloading the Windows software for development and before placing a purchase order for the software licenses.
What’s the CLA process?
- To obtain a CLA, you must coordinate with an Authorized Distributor such as Bsquare to initiate the CLA request. After your request, Microsoft sends an email to the OEM designated contact to fill out and submit the request. Once submitted, Microsoft will review and approve the request. Once approved, Microsoft will send another email to your designated contact confirming the CLA is in place.
What does it cost?
- There is no cost to request or sign the CLA.
What information does Bsquare need to initiate a CLA?
- To initiate a CLA request, we need the company name and a primary contact name and email address.
How long does it take?
- Typically CLA requests are reviewed and approved within 48 hours. However, if any ARA (Additional Rights Agreement) is being requested with the CLA, the ARA approvals can take up to 1-2 weeks for Microsoft to approve.
What is an ARA?
- ARA stands for Additional Rights Agreement. It is a subsidiary agreement under the CLA that is set up to add authorized subcontractors (or outsource manufacturers), third-party integrators, or third-party brand names that need to be involved in the development, licensing, or branding aspects of an OEM’s application or device.
How do I add an ARA to my Company’s CLA?
- If you already have a CLA in place and need to add or change an ARA, contact your Bsquare account executive to initiate the new or change request or contact us.
What should I do now?
- To begin the process, fill out this form and Microsoft will send your primary contact an electronic version to sign online. Bsquare will be with you every step of the way.