Is there a cost to join the Windows IoT program?
- Joining the Windows IoT program is free.
What agreements are needed to purchase and distribute IoT and Embedded Licenses with my products?
- Microsoft requires OEMs to execute an OEM Customer License Agreement, which Bsquare will facilitate between you and Microsoft. This non-negotiable agreement is set up via DocuSign. There are no obligations to purchase with the establishment of the agreement.
When do I order Certificate of Authenticity (COA) licenses?
- Order COA licenses when you are ready to ship your device to an end customer.
Can IoT or Embedded product keys be used with other licensing channels?
- IoT and Embedded product keys can only be used with OEM licensing channels.
Does Microsoft offer a discounted Windows upgrade product?
- The cost for an upgrade license is the same cost as the full license.
How do I obtain the software to develop my image?
- Bsquare will assist you with the OEM Pre Install Kit (OPK) download process or we can ship OPK DVDs for a small shipping fee.
What’s the difference between Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 IoT Enterprise?
- The software is the same. The only difference is that one version of the software contains the acronym IoT to denote the IoT channel it is purchased from. Bsquare is an Authorized Microsoft distributor in the Windows IoT channel.
What’s the difference between Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro?
- Windows 10 Enterprise includes lockdown features and other functionality for OEMs. Windows 10 Pro is targeted to the home user and needs to be updated with new features twice per year to stay supported.
What is Windows 10 IoT Core? How is it different than Windows 10 IoT Enterprise?
- Windows 10 IoT Core is targeted to low-power hardware and can run one Universal Windows Platform app in the foreground at a time. Windows 10 IoT Enterprise can run on a wider range of hardware and has more features.
Why should I buy from Bsquare?
- Bsquare has been in the intelligent edge device business for more than 20 years. We specialize in software and have engineering resources on staff to support our customers. We are deeply knowledgeable about Microsoft policy and products.
How do I track activations? How does Microsoft know how many activations have occurred?
- Microsoft offers the Windows ADK, which contains the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT). Download the ADK for the OS version in use and install the VAMT.
What happens if the product needs to be swapped out? Can I reuse my license?
- The COA or license is tied to the hardware. It cannot be removed and put on another server. If you try, it will not come off in one piece and the COA will be rendered useless. The license, once purchased and affixed to the device, is associated with the device for its lifetime.
Can I migrate from one prior version of an operating system to a newer version of the operating system?
- Using Microsoft Migration Rights, an OEM can purchase a COA of the current OS and install an image of a prior operating system and deliver that system to end users. The end user then has 12 months of use of the prior OS before they must migrate to the current operating system.