You don’t have to choose between Windows and Linux for your smart product. With Azure IoT Edge for Linux on Windows (EFLOW) now generally available, users can deploy Linux IoT Edge modules to run alongside the current Windows IoT operating systems.
In this article, explore the high-level benefits of Windows IoT and Linux operating systems, and how to use EFLOW to make the most of both.
Continue reading or contact a Bsquare expert for your IoT software and licensing needs.
High-level benefits of Linux
Linux is a popular as an open-source operating system for smart devices and it has a large developer community. There are many benefits to utilizing it:
- Price: With no license cost, Linux provides a cheap entry into embedded software.
- Containerized microservices: This can be a faster way to run applications on your OS, while also reducing the amount of memory and RAM needed for each microservice.
- Growing cloud independent software vendor (ISV) ecosystem: There is a large community providing software and support for a wide range of IoT projects.
- Enable AI/ML scenarios: When it comes to enhancing your connected device, artificial intelligence and machine learning can be one way to build value. Linux helps make this expansion possible.
High-level benefits of Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
Microsoft also provides a number of popular embedded operating systems, including Windows 10 IoT Enterprise. Advantages of choosing this OS include:
- Enterprise-grade security: Keep your data and IoT solution more secure, which can reduce downtime and leaks.
- Long-term support: With the option for long-term servicing channel (LTSC) support, you can get up to 10 years of updates to ensure fixed-purpose devices in the field remain running.
- Robust user experience: From lockdown capabilities to a wide range of applications, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise provides a variety of built-in tools.
- Established IT administrator infrastructure: Depend on an easier way to update and maintain your devices.
- Regulatory compliance: With a Microsoft OS, you can sell or use your IoT solution with confidence that it is being held to a high industry standard.
Did you know the next version of Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is coming soon? Learn more about Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2021 with our handy guide.
Use Azure EFLOW to make the most of Linux and Windows
Whether you already have a Windows-based smart product or are trying to decide on an operating system to adopt, Azure EFLOW means you don’t have to choose. By making it possible to run Linux-based modules on a Windows platform, Azure EFLOW allows you to further customize your solution.
Benefits of deploying Azure EFLOW include:
- A lower-cost way to develop and build new applications.
- A wider range of options that can make it easier to scale your IoT solution.
- A more secure way to combine different operating systems.
Check out our article on Azure EFLOW to discover more about what it is and the ways you can use it.
Bsquare can help you with Linux on top of Windows IoT
Whether you’re trying to decide between Windows and Linux, or you don’t want to choose, we can give you expert opinions and guidance throughout the adoption process. Bsquare is an Authorized Microsoft distributor with more than 25 years of experience with connected devices. As a software and services company for over 25 years, Bsquare is here to help you on your IoT journey. When you’re ready to explore Azure EFLOW, or another Microsoft product, you can purchase licensing with confidence.
Contact Bsquare now to learn more.